Street Smart Ads
Effective Billboard Advertising
When I joined LEAD Marketing Agency almost two years ago, I had little regard for billboards. After seeing our work, I saw billboards that made me hungry, one smoking hot sizzling steak billboard that made me laugh because people called the fire department and the news media got involved, and an experience told by one of our owners, Matt Tiedgen regarding a client who did not think the billboards his auto dealership was paying for were working.
Out-of-home (OOH) advertising refers to any type of advertising that targets consumers when they are away from their homes and on the go. Billboards, bulletins, posters and transit ads can be an effective way to build brand awareness for several reasons:
- High Visibility: Billboards are typically placed in high-traffic areas such as busy highways, major intersections, or popular tourist destinations. They allow advertisers to reach a large audience of people.
- Targeted Reach: Billboards can be strategically placed in specific locations to target a particular demographic or geographic area. For example, a billboard advertising a local restaurant can be placed near the restaurant’s location to target people in the area.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Compared to other forms of advertising such as television or radio commercials, billboards can be a cost-effective option for serving lots of impressions with a limited marketing budget.
- Constant Exposure: Unlike other forms of advertising that require the audience to actively engage with the message, billboards provide constant exposure to the audience. People driving or walking by a billboard are likely to see the message multiple times, which can increase brand awareness and recall.
- Creativity: Billboards provide a large canvas for creativity and can be designed to be visually appealing and attention-grabbing. This can make them an effective way to showcase a brand’s personality or convey a message in a memorable way.
It’s also important to consider factors such as placement, design, and messaging to ensure that your OOH advertising campaign is effective.
Messaging is so Important in Billboard Design.
Billboards are designed to convey a message quickly and effectively to a broad audience. Given that billboards are typically seen by people who are on the move, such as drivers (70+ MPH) or pedestrians, they have a limited amount of time to make an impact. Therefore, the message on a billboard must be clear, concise, and easy to understand. You don’t need to sell me; you need to move me.
Effective messaging in billboard design should accomplish the following:
- Grab Attention: The messaging should grab the attention of the audience and make them stop and take notice of the billboard. Two areas that drive engagement are funny or memorable.
- Be Clear and Concise: The message should be easy to understand and communicated in as few words as possible. Long or complex messages are unlikely to be effective in a billboard format.
- Communicate a Benefit: The message should communicate a benefit or value proposition that is relevant to the target audience.
- Be Memorable: The message should be memorable, making it easy for the audience to recall the message later.
- Align with Branding: The messaging should be aligned with the overall brand messaging and personality, ensuring consistency across all marketing channels.
Messaging can make or break the effectiveness of your billboard. A clear and compelling message that resonates with the target audience can drive brand awareness, increase sales, and improve overall brand perception.
Do you need help crafting your out of home messaging? Contact LEAD Marketing today.